Monday, September 01, 2008

Hummingbird Bait?

You bet! I’ve had a couple of hummingbirds hanging out in the garden the past few weeks and the Zauschneria plants are some of their favorites (read more about these plants here). Mid August into early September is prime time for hummer viewing in my neighborhood. The rest of the summer they tend to frequent higher elevations, typically those areas that have native stands of ponderosa pine. I’ve never been tempted to hang a hummingbird feeder, but I do have a number of plants in bloom right now that they really go for:

Agastache, hummingbird mint
Buddleia, butterfly bush
Caryopteris, blue mist spirea
Centranthus, red and white valerian
Penstemon
Zauschneria, hummingbird trumpet
Above: Buddleia davidii
Below: Penstemon pinifolius 'Mersea Yellow'
What are the hummingbirds feeding on in your garden?

3 comments:

Aiyana said...

Hi Jocelyn,
This year, I've had very few hummingbirds. I don't know what happened. In other years, I spent a lot of time watching them, but now, it's like they no longer like my garden. I have plenty of plants that are hummingbird magnets, so it's not that. The lizards are back in abundance after that hard freeze we had in January of 2007, but not the hummingbirds. I miss them.
Aiyana

Anonymous said...

The hummingbirds favorite at the moment is scarlet gilia. They also love various salvias, agastache and trumpet vine(which I regret planting except when the Hummingbirds are here). The goldfinches are back from the mountains and we still have three western screech owl teenagers.

diana

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

Thanks for your comments. I think those of us who are actively involved with our gardens automatically become bird watchers as well! It's fascinating to see how they interact with various plants and each other. Plus, there's always changing popultations from year to year and season to season. My hummingbirds are long gone now, but I, too, have recently started seeing a few American goldfinches here. The downy woodpeckers are also back and happily pecking away at the Verbascum stalks...