Sunday, March 08, 2009

Whack it!


It’s spring clean-up time in the garden. I use these hedge shears not for shearing (heaven forbid!) but for whacking back all of my ornamental grasses and perennials. When the plants’ foliage is nice and dry it’s really easy and fast to go through the beds snipping everything down to the base. And believe me; I have a lot of plants to snip!

Next weekend all of the debris will get raked up and hauled off to our favorite recycler-composter guy.

There are a few woody plants that I will also cut back to the ground, but not for a month or so. These include: Russian sage (Perovskia), Powis Castle sage (Artemesia), butterfly bush (Buddleia davidii), leadplant, (Amorpha canescens), and St. Johnswort (Hypericum). I recently read that hummingbird mints (Agastache sp) should also be cut back a bit later in the spring, so I’ll wait a bit on those, too.

Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grass hair cuts. That's what I'll be doing, providing the weather stays decent this coming weekend. Though it's still March - we could have snow any day. I'm not naive.