Sunday, December 12, 2010

Fast, Cheap n' Easy

Last week I posted photos of some winter/holiday planters that appealed to me. This week I played off that idea to dress up some pots of my own. I used cuttings from my own garden, and it took about 20 minutes, tops.

I started with a container full of soil, covered the soil with pine cones, then stuck the cut branches down into the soil.

I included red stem dogwood (Cornus sericea) for the - yes - red stems; the glossy, dark green leaves and blue berries of creeping Oregon grape holly (Mahonia repens); and sarcoxie euonymus (Euonymus fortunei 'Sarcoxie') provided the lighter green, trailing branches.
Here is a smaller scale version, sans the dogwood.

Are you decorating with goods from your garden? What are your favorites?


Connie Kogler said...

Wonderful! I'm dressing up my pots tomorrow!

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

Have fun - it's a great way to connect with your garden this time of year!