Sunday, February 07, 2010

Quarantined!

Gathering the tools
We recently
realized that one of our koi, my favorite in fact, had a wound that was not healing. We've been pretty lucky with our fish over the years and have never had to take drastic measures. A few times a fish has died for no apparent reason, the rest of the time they all seem healthy and happy. Once we realized our 20 year old koi*- Kyoto is his name - was in trouble, we consulted with our friends at True Pump & Equipment and decided to isolate and medicate this special pet.

A pump with temporary fittings fills the isolation tank quickly


This small pump will be used as a bubbler to keep the water oxygenated.

Now that Kyoto's temporary home is ready, it's time to nab him. This fish net is 20" in diameter.

This time of year the water is very cold and the fish's metabolism is quite low. Essentially, they are hibernating for the winter. They move slowly and are much easier to catch!

Jim eases Kyoto into the net and walks him carefully over to the tank.


Here is a closeup: see the green leaf stuck to Kyoto's side? The green spot to the left is the wound area where algae has started to grow. Yeah, gross...

This is the medication we'll be trying. Kyoto will get a dose every day for a week.

Here's Kyoto with his pals in happier (and warmer!) days. Please send him your good wishes for a speedy recovery!

*We purchased Kyoto in 1990 right after we built our pond. He was about 4" long then, now he's nearly 2 feet long! The yellow fish at the top of the photo, Yoshi, is his "brother."

Note: this is not a paid endorsement of any company or product

10 comments:

Les said...

I am surprised that you keep koi in Co. Is there a heater in the water? The surface of my pond freezes regualrly this time of year, but I use a bird bath heater just to keep a hole open for gas exchange, it is not enough to raise the temp of the water. I hope Kyoto heals soon.

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

Koi in Colorado are common! Our pond often freezes over, so we keep our little waterfall running year 'round to keep the water oxygenated. The pond is 3 feet deep and holds about 1200 gallons of water. In the winter the koi "sit" at the bottom of the pond in the warmest water layer. Kyoto's lethargy allowed him to be caught very easily---it would have been impossible in the summer when the fish are all up to full speed!
These photos were all taken on Friday, February 5th, a sunny, warm (50F) day. This morning it's snowing...

Pam/Digging said...

Get well soon, Kyoto! Jocelyn, I bet you really become attached to your fish when they live that long. My goldfish are still nameless to me, although my daughter may know them by name.

I'm sure you've covered the temporary tank with something to keep Kyoto safe from herons and hawks, yes?

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

Oh yes, Pam, the tank is covered with a piece of Plexiglas weighted with a chunk of flagstone! The biggest threat here/now are foxes and cats.

Mark Amershek said...

Jocelyn -

Nice to see your pond and the start of treatment. I am new to garden ponds and Koi. I had a pond installed last year - this is my first winter. All appears to be going well for me. The pond guy built a couple of small caves in the bottom of the pond and that is where the fish hide most of the time. It is good to know that I am not the only one with a good growth of algae in my pond. Have almost given up on trying to scoop it out. Maybe a cleaning job is in order come spring?

Most of the time just a lurker on your site - but enjoy it a lot.

Thanks - a fellow Denver gardener...

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

Hi Mark, welcome to the wonderful world of pond keeping! Here are a couple of resources for you:
Rocky Mountain Koi Club http://www.rmkc.net and Colorado Water Garden Society http://www.colowatergardensociety.org We found both groups very helpful (and fun) when we were first starting out.

Steve said...

Well, here's hoping Kyoto has a solid recovery. That is a gorgeous Koi, for real. I just discovered your blog and think it is terrific. You get specific and informative - something I appreciate very much. Keep up the good work and I'll see you around!

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

Thanks for stopping by The Art Garden, Steve, and thanks for your kind words, too! Happy gardening...

Matt Corrion said...

Jocelyn,
Excellent blog and photos! Question: Have you ever heard of people having trouble with birds eating their fish? Recently I have had 2 different clients mention that when discussing the possibility of a water feature.

I had a small pond with Koi at my last home in Denver and did not have this problem- however, I have heard this statement before. Have you heard this as well, and is this really a legitimate concern?

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

Yes, Matt, Great Blue Herons can be a concern here, although the problem seems to be kind of hit or miss. I'm located less than 2 miles south of Clear Creek, so I'm pretty close to heron habitat, but I have never lost any fish to them (only saw them land in our yard one time, actually). However, my friends just another half mile south have endless problems with herons eating their fish. We've concluded that because our pond is so close to our house it's fairly protected, but our friend's pond, further out in their yard, is not. My "official" recommendation, therefore, is that if the property is located near heron habitat, then site the pond up close to the house to increase the survival odds of the fish.