Thursday, January 14, 2010

Friday Afternoon Garden Club

It's FAC time in The Art Garden! Grab your favorite beverage and pull up a comfy chair. You didn’t really want to work this afternoon anyway, did you? Leave a comment to join the garden party.


Today's topic:

Do you consider yourself a plant collector? What‘s the focus of your collection---lots of different kinds of plants, or an assortment of species or cultivars of a particular favorite? Is your collection based on flower or foliage color?


Datura wrightii

6 comments:

Kathy Green said...

Hi Jocelyn,

I guess I collect plants that help nature and pollinators, that are also waterwise whenever possible. Things like lavenders, penstemons, agastaches, lilies, groundcovers are all some of my favorites. I don't think I have a true "collection" except for some hard cacti in pots and scree. I am a "nature collector" more than a plant collector. The more birds, bees, insects and wildlife I see in my yard, the better I feel! Kathy

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

I like your attitude, Kathy! Nothing beats the summer sound of happy bees, birds and other critters in the garden.
Thanks for visiting!

Les said...

I just wanted to thank you for stopping by my Bloom Day post. If I had to answer your question, I'd say I collect camellias and hydrangeas.

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

Thanks for participating, Les. Camellias are a "no go" here, but we're seeing quite a few new hardy hydrangea introductions to this market. In the right microclimate they can perform pretty well...

Garden Chick said...

I would say I am a collector. Where I lived previously, I collected grasses, echinacea, heuchera, hosta, roses, sedum, and hellebores. Yes, I defied credo and planted in drifts of one :-)

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

You can collect all of those plants--and more!--here, too. It's just a matter of identifying and using your microclimates to the max.