Saturday, October 10, 2009

Snowy!

We awoke this morning to our first snow of the season. Snow in October isn’t that unusual, but sunny skies and mild temperatures are the norm. As you can see, my Autumn Brilliance serviceberry has barely had a chance to show off its brilliance!

I’m feeling a bit smug that I got my artichokes harvested before this weather hit. Unfortunately, they just weren’t very tasty. Even the smallest buds were very tough, and the leaves of the larger buds were pretty much “meatless.” My plant’s label did not include a variety name, but next year I’m going to search out one called ‘Emerald’ that is supposedly is frost and heat tolerant with few spines.




4 comments:

Chloe m said...

It is typical Colorado weather...next week we will have some sunny days, hopefully I can get the rest of the bulbs in.
Too bad about the ARticho. I hope you get a good variety for next year. They did look good though!
Rosey

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

You're right, Rosey, the next few weeks will be perfect for planting bulbs---and thanks for the reminder!
I need to get busy and buy some yellow tulips to add to my garden this year...

Людмила Кшнясева said...

JoceLyn, hello!
У нас в Екатеринбурге также выпал 1-й снег!
Я разместила Ваше фото в своем блоге: http://mk-lady.ru/?p=758

С первым снегом!
Людмила

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

Here is a rough translation of Ludmila's comment:

In our Ekaterinburg the 1st snow also fell out! I placed your photo in my [bloge]: http://mk-lady.ru/?p=758 With the first snow! Ludmila

click here to learn more about her home city:

https://www.ekaterinburg.tv/aboutcity.htm

The first snow is exciting no matter where you live!