Monday, July 27, 2009

Lazy Days


Maybe that should read lazy daze! I’ve been enjoying the lazy days of summer to the extreme; puttering in the garden (plenty of weeding and deadheading to do), hiking in the foothills, cruising around the neighborhood on my bike, sitting on the patio in the evenings and knitting while I listen to the Rockies games on the radio, and generally reveling in our lovely summer weather. Cooler temperatures and more rain than usual have made it a joy to be outdoors!

My garden was spared last week when a horrific hail and wind storm scoured the west side of the Denver metro area. The damage is amazing to see; trees not blown over lost limbs or were stripped of their foliage, smaller shrubs and plantings were beat to a pulp. Once the clean-up phase is completed it’s really best to just sit back and let nature take its course. Plants with established root systems may spring right back with new leaves and fresh growth; others may shut down for the season but resume normal growth patterns next year. (Now is NOT the time to fertilize; trying to stimulate plants that are stressed and in shock is not only a waste of money but may be detrimental to the plants themselves.) It will be really interesting to see how it all plays out. Please keep me posted on your garden’s recovery!

mariposa lily, Calochortus sp., photographed at Red Feather Lakes, July 18, 2009

2 comments:

Pam/Digging said...

I envy you the lovely summer weather. Oh, how we missed not going up to Colorado for a visit this year. But I'm glad to hear you were spared the hailstorm. Those of us in central Texas know how damaging it can be.

Aiyana said...

I'll be in Denver on the 20th. I sure hope it stays cool--I think I could take some hail and even snow after our brutal summer. It seems like the worst one ever!
Aiyana