Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Some Like it HOT


Hot, summertime weather means living and cooking outdoors on the patio. It’s time to crank up the grill! Yesterday I was bound and determined to make a sauce to go with our grilled spare ribs, but didn’t have the key ingredients advocated by most recipes - ketchup and brown sugar - so I improvised with what I had on hand. Oftentimes simple recipes are the best, but when you want a rich, complex sauce it’s time to get creative and start building layers of flavors. This recipe was inspired (obviously) by Mexican cuisine. I hope you’ll give it a try and let me know if you enjoy it.

Jocelyn’s Chipotle-Chocolate BBQ Sauce
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
½ disc of Ibarra Mexican chocolate*, coarsely chopped
3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
¼ cup apricot jam (or other fruit jam-cherry would be good too)
2 Tbs. honey
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs. brewed coffee
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp dried oregano, crushed

Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 20-30 minutes. Use as a basting sauce while grilling pork or beef, and/or serve on the side for dipping. Enjoy!

*this is not sold as candy, but for cooking and baking.

4 comments:

Allison said...

WOW!! You DO realize that I'm expecting to enjoy this in person during your upcoming visit behind the redwood curtain! Can't wait!

erinrae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

i would like to point out that photos with the new cam look fab.

erin

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

Yes, Allison, we can grill non-stop as far as I'm concerned! See you soon...

Thanks, Erin. I'm still learning how everything works, but overall I'm very pleased with it. Now if I could just get the wind to stop!