Thursday, March 06, 2008

Oh Happy Day!


Today was the culmination of 18 months of work; I sent my book manuscript and photographs off to the publisher. Look for Plant Smart! Six Steps to Choosing Perfect Plants later this year. It takes about 6-10 months for the editing, design and printing. I’m hoping that my draft is so perfect (yeah, right!) that all I will have left to do is review the production proof and say, “Yes, that’s lovely, print away!” For now I will just enjoy a sense of accomplishment--- and relief...



Lake and pergola design by Ken Ball, ASLA

Lake construction and photo by Jim Chilvers

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I've not written books, but I've designed them and getting them off your desk and on to the next person's desk is a great relief!

Now you can get back to what it was you were doing before. And dreading the proofing process.

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

Thanks Jim. This is my first experience writing a book, although I volunteer as a writer and editor on Colorado Green magazine (a landscape trade publication). You're right---the proofing process can be arduous!

Aiyana said...

Congrats! I'll be looking for your book later this year. It's amazing how long it takes from writing to bookstore shelves. Who proofs and edits? Does someone tell you what needs changing or is it done for you?
Aiyana

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

Good questions, Aiyana! I had a few braniac friends who were kind enough to proof read my draft, which was a great help. They were able to catch mistakes and point out areas that needed "attention." Now it's up to the book editor to suggest/make additional changes before it goes to production. I'll have a chance to proof the final before it's printed. Can't wait!!